Please see below for:
The following special interest groups meet regularly during term time. Most classes may be joined at any time, however for some groups (marked with an asterisk below), it is necessary to contact the course secretary before joining the group.
- Discussion Group: Prior notice not required. Currently, members take turns in chairing the meetings and bring along topics for discussion. Venue: Banksia Centre, Sir Joseph Banks Drive, Bateau Bay. Dates and time: see Newsletter. Information: Tony Thomson ph 4358 3655.
- Creative Writing*: Secretary: Pam McGlinn ph 4390 2451. Please contact Pam in advance if you would like to join the group and try your hand at writing. Venue: Toukley. Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- Readers' Group: Secretary: Dorothy Rhodes ph 4332 4103. Choose your own book to talk about, relating to the theme, genre or author set for the particular day. Give Dorothy a ring for a list of topics, or just pop in to any class and listen to what we talk about. Venue: Killarney Vale. Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- Cryptic Crosswords: Not only do we learn the tricks of doing cryptic crosswords, but we have lots of fun doing so. Bookings not required. Come along and see if this is for you. Venue: The Greens, The Entrance. Secretary: Betty Siegman ph 4332 0870. Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- Keeping The Marbles Rolling*: Improve your mental skills by following Peter Beale's program designed to exercise seven major mental functions, conducted in a non-competitive environment. New attendees must pay $25 for course materials (continuers pay $10). Course Secretary: Rhonda MacDiarmid ph: 4332 2300. Venue: The Greens, The Entrance. Dates and times: see Newsletter.
- French Conversation*: Venue: Canton Beach (At Home). Secretary: Henriette Vanechop ph 4396 7847. Contact Henriette if you are interested in learning French, either at a beginner level or to improve your conversational French. Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- Music Appreciation: A varied program of mostly classics, some well known and loved, and some we have not heard before. Secretary: Betty Siegman ph 4332 0870. Venue: Berkeley Vale: Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- My Memoirs: If you have been thinking of recording some of your memories for your family, why not make a start NOW? Bring a pen or pencil along, and some paper, or a notebook. Write down your thoughts, short stories, or parts of your life. There'll be tips and guidance offered.. Secretary: John Haydon ph 0403 797 585. Venue: The Entrance Leagues Club (Tigers), Bay Village Rd, Bateau Bay : Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- Movie Appreciation*: Secretary: John Richards ph 4388 4945. Please book with John before attending, as places are limited. Venue: Chittaway Bay. Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- Games*: Bring along your favourite board game, or just play one of ours (includes Mah Jong). Please contact the secretary if you wish to join the group. Secretary: Rhonda MacDiarmid ph 4332 2300. Venue: Killarney Vale. Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- Walks: Most outings start and return to the same point, so are suitable for those who just wish to stroll or for those who prefer a longer more energetic walk. Suitable shoes, sunscreen, hat and water are required. Locations: various. Leader: Barbara Skurr ph: 4392 4158. Dates and time: see Newsletter.
- Play Reading*: A popular group. There are many plays ready to go, and lots of fun to be had. Men are always needed, so if your desire is to play the dashing hero or the dastardly villain, here is your chance! Please contact Christine before your first attendance. Leader: Christine Kilner ph: 4399 2748. Venue: The Entrance Community Centre. Dates and times: see Newsletter.
- Conversations: In small groups, we reminisce and share experiences, ideas, and opinions as prompted by short video talks. Secretary: Betty Siegman ph: 4332 0870. Venue: The Entrance Community Centre. Dates and time: see Newsletter.
The special interest groups are very popular with their members.
The Creative Writing group is particularly keen, and may write poems, essays, diaries, or a variety of other subjects.
French Conversation does require some prior knowledge of the subject.
Cryptic Crosswords require only general knowledge - you will be taught how to analyse the clues.
The Readers' Group has a devoted group of followers - a particular genre of novel, or author, or perhaps non fiction style of writing is chosen, and each person selects their own book.
Term 1 starts on Monday, 30 January 2017 and ends on Friday, 7 April 2017.
During Term 1 there will be talks on:
"Women In The 30's" (Some famous and infamous women from Australia and overseas)
"Inside Pine Gap" (Learn Pine Gap's history from an insider)
"Gothic Cathedrals (Part 1)" (The design and construction of these magnificent structures)
"Gothic Cathedrals (Part 2)"
"Life Stories" (Some members will give short talks about times in their lives)
"Dictionaries" (Lexicography and the contents of the perfect dictionary)
These talks will be presented on Friday mornings (10 a.m. - 12 noon) at TELJ RSL Hall, Hume Boulevard (near Brooke Ave) Killarney Vale (see map for location).
Before the beginning of each Term, our Newsletter is sent to each member containing full details of the current Term programme and a detailed timetable. The Newsletter provides more information about the talks, courses and special interest groups, and about any outings that have been arranged.
A copy of our latest Newsletter, including the latest timetable, can be viewed or printed from our Resource Library
If you would like a paper copy of the newsletter to be posted to you, please phone the Newsletter Editor, Betty Siegman on 02 4332 0870.
Our talks and courses take place during the NSW school terms (for government schools). For the 2017 year, our terms are as follows:
Monday, 30 January 2017 to Friday, 7 April 2017
Monday, 24 April 2017 to Friday, 30 June 2017
Monday, 17 July 2017 to Friday, 22 September 2017
Monday, 9 October 2017 to (circa) Thursday, 7 December 2017